1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  | Can You Modify Your Custody Agreement?

Can You Modify Your Custody Agreement?

On Behalf of | Oct 28, 2021 | Child Custody

The process of going through a divorce can be stressful and tolling on your life, given the demands of the process and emotions involved. When you have completed a divorce and custody has been determined, you might be wondering if there is any way you can modify your custody agreement to better suit your changing life.

A Huntington Beach custody attorney from Furubotten Law can evaluate your options and help walk you through the necessary steps to pursue a modification of your custody order whenever possible.

Ways to Obtain a Modification

In the State of California, when a custody order has been established, either parent can seek to change the order under certain circumstances. The California Courts advise the updating of a parenting agreement each two and a half to three years to ensure that the custody order in place is fitting for the present circumstances of the parents and children alike. If the parents are able to come to an agreement, they can submit the updated plan to the court, which can approve the changes if they are in the best interests of the child. This is the simplest way to modify a custody agreement.

When one parent does not agree with the proposed custody order modification, then a custody order hearing will be scheduled with the court. The parent seeking the changes will file a petition to modify with the court, which sets out the requested changes. To obtain an opposed modification, the petitioning parent must demonstrate:

  • The modification is necessary due to a substantial change in circumstances
  • The modification is in the best interests of the child

Connect with a Huntington Beach Child Custody Lawyer Today

If you need to modify custody – or you oppose the modification proposed by another parent – you want the right legal guidance. Reach out to a Huntington Beach child custody lawyer at Furubotten Law today to schedule a consultation to discuss your case now.