1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Divorce
  4.  | Are You Unsure About Your Divorce Case?

Are You Unsure About Your Divorce Case?

On Behalf of | Feb 28, 2022 | Divorce

Some people go through phases where they fight with their spouses and want to end their marriages, so they might file for divorce. Once the divorce is in progress, they might wonder if they are making the right decision. Perhaps you and your spouse are getting along better. Maybe you went to therapy and decided to work things out.

Whatever the reason, if you’re unsure about your divorce case, can you pause it?

In California, you cannot simply halt your divorce if you are uncertain. Instead, your Huntington Beach divorce lawyer will need to file a motion for continuance with the court. The judge will then decide whether to grant it and give you extra time to decide what you want.

If a judge recognizes that you might want to reconcile your marriage, they can pause your divorce case (“continue” the case) for 30 days. After the 30 days pass, if one spouse wants to proceed with the divorce, they can file a motion to lift the hold. If you both decide you want to stay married, your attorney can file a motion to dismiss the divorce case.

If the judge suspects that one spouse wants to continue the case just to add delays or inconveniences, they will not grant a continuance they believe is in bad faith. It is important to have your lawyer file this motion to best show the court that you are requesting to pause your case in good faith.

Contact a Huntington Beach California Divorce Attorney

Divorce is a difficult decision, and some people change their minds. Others might pause their cases only to decide to continue with the divorce process. At Furubotten Law, our Huntington Beach California divorce attorney can help no matter what situation you are facing. Contact us for more information about how we might help you.